Sunday, September 18, 2016

Never Again by Nicky Clifford


Author                         Nicky Clifford 
Publication Date        21 October 2016 
Genre                            Contemporary Romance 




Mountains, Mystery, Romance: Can you run from your past? 
Harriet Anderson’s life is spiralling out of control. Unused to such mayhem, she ditches her high-powered job to take refuge in the Swiss Alps where she meets Philippe Smith, a crime writer with a dark and shadowy past. Thrown together by chance, is their fate intertwined? Will the karma and romance of the mountains and the quaintness of the Alps soothe their troubled souls? 
Or will their rocky paths create avalanches that cannot be avoided... 

Bestselling authors, Erica James, Jane Green and Caroline James congratulate Nicky Clifford on her debut novel, Never Again: 
“Delicious! A perfect book to cosy up with...” 

EmmaBbooks Review: 


“A stunning debut novel. We’ll be reading a lot more from this author!”  





Love can find its way when least expected in the most unlikely places. 

Hariett has been through some distressing times and makes a complete break to hopefully put some of the past behind her. No more complications. She goes to Switzerland to find some respite. 

Philippe has had his fair share of being in the limelight but after an accident, his life takes a turn for the worse. He embarks on a new venture which unfortunately takes him back to being in the public eye. A break in the Swiss countryside is just what he needs. He can do his job without anymore hassles! 

The first time that Hariett and Phillippe set eyes on each other, they feel that they are being pulled to each other by a magnet. Since neither of them wants any more heartaches in their lives, they decide to concentrate on their jobs. Staying in the same place makes it quite difficult to avoid each other. They start off with being polite to each other until their feelings get the better of them. The problem is that neither of them is able to trust and any form of misunderstandings could take them back to square one. 

They confide in each other and make a truce. Just then, Phillipe's past makes an entrance which instantly sets Hariett off. To make matters worse her past catches up with her too. They both had secrets and these lead to more misunderstandings which lead to more heartaches. Can they find a way back to each other? 

The author paints a vivid picture of the Swiss and English locations where this story takes place. There is a good mix of characters just like those in real life. There is a snob with an attitude. A colleague who turns into a good friend. The selfish exes who think that they can get what they want through manipulation. The vulnerable and innocent, caught in the middle of disputes . The random stranger who turns into the most supportive of friends. There is the loving and loyal family who would do anything for each other's happiness. 

I like Phillipe's attitude and the way he handles the awkward situations. Hariett is compassionate and prepared to sacrifice her own happiness out of love and loyalty. Toby is lovely but can be exhausting!

This debut romance is a delightful read with an emotive storyline and well developed characters. I look forward to reading more from this author. 

I received a complimentary eARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. 









Years Ago

Briefly . . . I screamed my way into this world in the mid-60s and have lived in Berkshire all my life (apart from a few months here and there).
I was, coincidentally, born in the same hospital in Hendon as my husband, Mark, although he arrived a few years after me. We didn’t discover this fact until we went on holiday together and compared passports, as you do . . .
Family 
In a nutshell, I have two teenage sons: my eldest, Sam, is at Bath Uni and my youngest, who wishes to remain nameless, is at College. Sam has a lovely, lovely girlfriend, Beth, who works for Chase de Vere. She is my inherited daughter and chief champion of my writing. Mark and I have been together for 12 years, married for four. 
Most of my working life has been spent in large corporates working in human resources and training departments. Within these roles, I edited/coordinated newsletters.
As a complete change,  I now work for the local vicar. She is a dynamic lady. I can safely say that I do not sit and twiddle my thumbs, whisk away the dust settled on the one electric typewriter resting on an ancient desk and produce the odd letter to the parishioners. Oh no, she is like a Duracell battery . . . and who knew that ‘parochial fees’ and the ‘Diocese’ and the like could be so complicated?
Regrets
That I didn’t embark on a career in writing earlier in my life.
Strange Hobbies
Much to the embarrassment of my youngest son, I took up ice-skating well past my 20s! Under the expert and patient guidance of my ice coach, I learned to skate backwards, execute crossovers (forwards and backwards, don’t you know), one foot turns and other complicated manoeuvres.
Ironically, the only bone I have broken since then is my toe; a chopping board fell off the draining board onto my foot squashing the poor little digit. Would you believe it?
However, bruises are an occupational hazard of ice-skating, as is skewering myself in the knee with my ice skate . . . ouch!








Post a Comment

Translate